Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush Instructions
*This is not a PRL protocol
Caution: If you are chronically ill, have symptoms of severe gallstones, or gallbladder disease check with your health care practitioner before trying this program. The Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush is not recommended for women who are pregnant or nursing. Do not proceed with this cleanse if you are feeling ill, have a fever, cold-like symptoms, or have not had a bowel movement in a few days.
I. The Importance of Adequately Preparing for a Liver & Gallbladder Flush
Although the Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush is very easy to do, it is important to understand the process and follow all of the directions precisely. If you have not followed the steps provided in Preparing for the Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush, we strongly recommend that you do (even if you have done other Liver Flushes in the past). Then, once you are ready to get started with the Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush, it is imperative that you follow all of the instructions discussed in this section exactly, without exception. If you do, your results will be more than exhilarating, and you will be willing and ready to start preparing for your next Liver Flush!
II. Overview of the Flush Week
The Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush consists of 6 days of preparation (which is easy to incorporate into your daily routine) followed by 1 day (24 hours) of actual cleansing. The actual Flush starts on Day 6, when you will take the Flush drink right before bed, and continues through to Day 7, where you will be “flushing” the gallstones. Ideally, Days 6-7 should be reserved for the weekend or a time when you will have no distractions. You will be instructed to follow up a few days later with additional colon cleansing to ensure thorough removal of gallstones. To simplify the procedures, separate instructions will be provided for Days 1-5, Day 6 and Day 7.
III. Components of the Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush
For the next six days you will be instructed to drink 32 oz. of apple juice (which contains malic acid) everyday in conjunction with taking nutrients to prepare your liver for the Flush. Some gentle cleansing is also required to better prepare your body for removing the gallstones and the wastes that are released after the Flush. Details of these components are provided here:
- Apple Juice: Apple juice is an excellent source of malic acid. It is the most effective at softening gallstones that are adhered to the bile ducts. The apple juice though, has a strong cleansing effect, so do not be alarmed if you experience a little diarrhea and/or bloating. This is actually stagnant bile released from the liver and gallbladder. It should subside within a few days. For those with Diabetes, Cancer, Hypoglycemia, Candida, and Stomach Ulcers: You should avoid apple juice entirely. Instead, use Malic Acid powder alone or combine it with Black Cherry Rejuvenate. Instructions will be provided for how much to take everyday.
- Reishi Complex – Reishi Complex helps the liver to accelerate its clearance of chemical toxins from the body to promote faster detoxification. It also helps the liver to produce bile and fatty acid synthesis more efficiently. Reishi is the ultimate herb to advance Phase I and Phase II liver detoxification. Therefore, it is the premier supplement to take in preparation for the Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush. (It is also recommended to continue taking Reishi in between Liver Flushes.)
- Gallbladder Nano-Detox – Gallbladder Nano-Detox contains nanized Gold Coin Grass which is helpful in softening gallstones and cleansing the bile ducts. It also supports healthy bile flow and promotes gallbladder function for optimal performance during the liver flush. This is still helpful for those without a gallbladder because the bile veins are attached to the common bile duct and the gallbladder meridian still remains.
- Coffee enemas – As mentioned in “Preparing for the Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush,” coffee enemas are extremely effective at clearing stagnant bile from the liver and gallbladder, which in turn helps the malic acid to get in and soften the stones more effectively. Therefore, these enemas are an integral part of the six day preparation. You are required to do at least 3 enemas during Days 1-5 of the six day prep, and follow up with one or a few after the Flush. More details will be provided in the instructions.
- Castor Oil Packs – Castor Packs are an amazing tool for removing toxins and opening circulation to the lymphatic system. Castor packing the kidneys, abdomen and liver helps to promote bowel eliminations and strengthen the detox pathways in the body. They are optional for the six day prep, but required for the kidneys on Day 7- the day after the Flush.
IV. Keep Your Bowels Moving Every Day for the 6 Day Preparation
It is essential that you keep your bowels moving for the next 6 days. If you have already finished the Intestinal Cleanse (as recommended in Preparing for the Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush) you understand that the “once-a-day” bowel movement is not enough to fully clear the bowels. Whatever you ate yesterday, should be evacuated today. It's that simple. In order to maximize your results with this Liver/Gallbladder Flush you want to fully empty your colon everyday. In addition, completely clearing your bowels everyday, for the 5 days before the Flush will actually strengthen liver, gallbladder, and kidney function, which in turn, helps the liver and gallbladder to expel more gallstones. Lastly, a clean colon before the Liver Flush helps to avoid or minimize any discomfort or nausea that may arise during the actual Liver Flush. It will prevent back-flushing of the oil mixture or waste products from the intestinal tract into the stomach. Here are the recommendations for clearing the bowels daily:
- Cleanse Blend and Aloe Drink – If you have already experienced success with the Intestinal Cleanse, you may want to consider taking Cleanse Blend and Aloe Drink for Days 1-5. You may take up to 1 tbsp. of Cleanse Blend twice a day and 1-2 oz. of Aloe Drink 3 to 4 times a day before meals.
- Warm-water enemas are very helpful in clearing the bowels. These options may work well in conjunction with coffee enemas.
- Salt Flush – If you have had success with Salt Flushes in the past, starting your day with a Salt Flush is an excellent option; especially if you have a sluggish colon in the morning.
- Colon Hydrotherapy – Colonics are one of the most effective ways to fully clear the bowels. Within a short period of time, a colonic can remove a large amount of trapped waste that has been collecting for years. If it is possible, try to do one or a few during the preparation phase, especially on Day 6. Go to: http://www.i-act.org/ or http://www.colonic.net/directory.asp for a referral list of US and International Colon Therapists.
V. Items you will need:
- Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush Kit
- Optional Items:
Malic Acid powder
Black Cherry Rejuvenate
Betaine HCL (excellent to take with the Flush Drink to avoid nausea)
Medi Blast Kit
- Other Items:
6 lemons – one for each day
Organic Unfiltered Apple Juice – 32 oz. a day
2 mason jars with lids
Epsom Salts (can be found in any drug store and most health food stores)
Grapefruits and additional lemons for Day 6
Heating pad for the Castor Oil Pack on Day 7
VI. Intructions for Days 1-5 (Day 6 and & have separate instructions)
- First thing in the morning drink a glass of room temperature, purified water with the juice of 1 lemon and ¼ teaspoon of Pink Salt. Drink a second glass of water within 10 minutes.
- Drink 32 oz. of unfiltered organic apple juice every day. Be sure to drink it in small quantities throughout the day (in addition to your normal intake of water.) Wait at least 1 hour after meals before drinking it, and try to finish it before dinner.
- If you have chosen to use the malic acid powder instead, you need to mix 2 tsp. into 24 oz. purified water, shake vigorously until it becomes a solution, and drink it throughout the day. Since malic acid powder is very tart, we recommend adding 2-3 tbsp. of Black Cherry Rejuvenate. The taste is reminiscent of those sour candies we used to love as kids. The Black Cherry Rejuvenate is also excellent for kidney and liver function. Wait at least 1 hour after meals before drinking it, and try to finish before dinner.
- Reishi Complex – Take 6 Vcaps three times a day (total 18 Vcaps per day) with meals.
- Gallbladder Nano-Detox – Take 2 tsp. in 3 oz. of water 1-2 hours before bed. If you are over 200 lbs. take 3 tsp. in 3 oz. of water. Sip and swish slowly.
- Avoid taking medication or other supplements that are not ABSOLUTELY necessary for this entire week. It is important not to give the liver any extra work that may interfere with its cleansing efforts. (The exception is the Kidney Cleanse or Intestinal Cleanse. The supplements in these cleanses are supportive of liver function and may be taken in conjunction with the 5 day preparation; not on Day 6).
- Coffee Enemas – Make sure you take 3 coffee enemas during Days 1-5 (you may take one every day if you like.) The enemas will also help to empty the bowels, especially when taken after dinner.
- Try your best to empty your colon every day! Do a Salt Flush, warm-water or oil enema, or another coffee enema if you feel you have not completely evacuated your colon.
- Stay Hydrated! Since you will be consuming more liquids than normal, it is easy to forget about drinking water. Make it a special point to get in at least half your weight in ounces of water every day (If you are active or exercise, you will need to take in more.)
- Dietary Recommendations – For this entire week stick to a whole foods diet as much as possible. Strive to eliminate all animal protein, dairy, fried foods, and processed, sugary foods. Cold food and beverages will chill the liver and reduce the effectiveness of the Liver Flush. Take only food and beverages that are warm or room temperature. It is best to keep your meals light and avoid overeating. Try to take your last meal before 7 p.m. Avoid alcohol and all recreational drugs.
- Castor Oil Packs (optional) – If time permits, it is recommended to use a castor pack for each main detox organ. You can pack the kidneys, abdomen (colon) and Liver on separate days. A castor pack is not permitted on Day 6 unless you choose to place a pack over your liver after taking the Flush Drink.
- Medi Blast (optional) – Feel free to do a Medi Blast any time, especially if you have a debilitating health condition. More details in Medi Blast Instructions.
VII. Instructions for the Flush Day (Day 6)
Items you’ll need for today are:
- Apple juice (32 oz.) or malic acid (24 oz.)
- Epsom Salts – 4 tablespoons
- Premier Olive Oil – ½ cup
- 2 pint jars with lids
- 2 Grapefruits – enough for ¾ cup or 6 oz. freshly squeezed juice. You may also use oranges and lemons if you cannot tolerate grapefruit. (Do not use packaged fruit juice, only freshly squeezed juice seems to work.)
- Castor Pack and heating pad (if you choose to place castor pack over your liver after taking the Flush Drink).
Avoid Store-Bought Olive Oil
Unfortunately it is very difficult to find pure, non-toxic olive oil in grocery stores and even health food stores. Don’t let the name “organic” fool you. Many brands of olive oil, even expensive brands, are partially rancid, cut with cheaper oils (a common practice) or chemically tainted with toxic solvents. Especially avoid olive oil in clear bottles. Olive oil, once exposed to light will begin to turn rancid. Consuming these oils, especially in a large amount as required in a Liver Flush can make you sick. Premier Olive Oil is 100% pure, extra virgin olive oil, traditionally pressed in Europe without solvents or caustic lye and has no added low grade oils. It is kept in a dark violate bottle which blocks out 100% light.
Upon Arising (Day 6) – It is important to avoid taking all medications and supplements today, unless it is absolutely necessary.
- First thing, drink the juice of 1 freshly squeezed lemon – on its own with no water. This will begin to stimulate gallbladder function. Wait a few minutes and drink a glass of water.
- Drink all 32 oz. of the apple juice or 24 oz. of purified water with 2 tsp. of malic acid throughout the morning up until 2 p.m.
- Meals – It is imperative that you avoid all fat and protein today!!! An entire day with no fat and animal protein will cause the liver and gallbladder to retain bile. This is necessary for the Liver Flush to work. Also avoid cold foods. Cold foods will chill the liver which may interfere with the Flush. If you get hungry eat a light breakfast and a light lunch. Avoid caffeine, sugar, other sweeteners, yogurt, milk, cheese, nuts, meat, cold cereals, pastries, any processed food and the like. These foods will cause undue stress on the liver and interfere with removing the stones. Whole Oatmeal, white basmati rice, steamed veggies, baked potato or sweet potato are a good recommendation. You may use a little Pink Salt to spice your foods. The key here is to eat light. Do not eat anything after 2 p.m. Again, if you eat ANY protein or fat, this Flush will not work.
- Drinking Water – You MUST stay hydrated today! Make sure to get in at least 8-10 glasses of water today. Drink it any time except right before taking the Epsom salt drink and at least 30 minutes after. Do not drink water after the Flush Drink (in between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. if you wake up).
- From 2 p.m. up until the time of the Flush Drink at 10 p.m. you will be required to eat or drink nothing except water. This is a great time to relax, read, meditate, take a walk, and focus time and energy on you! Avoid having to do any work or tasks that are not enjoyable. Creating stress of any type on the day of the Flush may interfere with your results.
Cleansing the Colon for Today
It is very important that you have a bowel movement (or more) a few hours before taking your Drink at 10 p.m. If at all possible, a colonic is the number one recommendation for cleansing the bowels, especially if you were not able to successfully cleanse the bowels every day during Days 1-5. A coffee enema is not recommended for Day 6, because it stimulates bile production (and the goal is to build up bile in the bile ducts). So if you choose not do a colonic, and your bowels are sluggish take a series of warm water enemas (no oil enema) in the late afternoon.
Epsom Salts Drink (Magnesium Sulfate)
Epsom Salts will dilate the bile ducts in preparation for removing the stones. It will also work as a tonic to relax the bowels. You may feel the urge to have a bowel movement after taking the drinks, but usually most of the action occurs the following day. Do not depend on the Epsom salts for cleansing the bowels. Make sure you have taken measures to thoroughly cleanse the bowels before the Epsom salts drink.
Add 4 tablespoons of Epsom salts to 24 ounces (3 cups) of purified water in a pint jar with a lid. Do not use tap water or distilled water! Adding the juice of ½ freshly squeezed grapefruit or 1 lemon in the jar is fine- this will alleviate the bitter taste. Keep the jar sitting out and do not refrigerate. This is going to be taken in 4 spaced doses of 6 oz. or ¾ cup each. You will take 2 today and 2 tomorrow. Shake well each time you take your dose. To help neutralize the bitter taste after taking the drink, suck on the wedge of an orange, but do not eat the pulp!
6:00 p.m. – Take your first 6 oz. dose of Epsom salts. Guzzle it down or use a straw. If you have your fruit and olive oil refrigerated, take them out at this time. Do not wait any longer than 6:00 p.m.
8:00 p.m. – Take your second 6 oz. dose of Epsom salts. (You may begin to experience watery bowels after this time.)
9:30 p.m. – Start preparing for bed. Ideally, you want to take the Flush drink in between 10:00 – 10:30 p.m. and go right to sleep. At this time, make sure all of your nightly chores are complete so you can fall off to a good nights sleep right on schedule. Use the bathroom at this time and brush your teeth now. You will not be able to do so after taking the olive oil.
9:45 p.m. – Wash grapefruits (or lemons and oranges.) and squeeze enough for ¾ cups of juice. Remove any pulp. Add the freshly squeezed juice to ½ cup of olive oil in a pint jar. Close the lid tightly and shake thoroughly until the solution is watery. If you are concerned about nausea, take 2 capsules of Betaine HCL with the Flush Drink.
10:00 – 10:30 p.m. – The most ideal situation is to take the Flush Drink standing up (do not sit down) next to your bed. Guzzle down the drink as quickly as you can. The grapefruit juice thins the consistency of the oil and helps it to go down smoothly. (The taste is actually mild.) You may use a straw if you like. Sucking on a few wedges of oranges in between or after the drink will help clear the taste of the oil. Do not take more than a few minutes to get the drink down- unless you have a weakened condition. Lie down immediately after finishing the entire drink.
In order for the oil to travel quickly through the intestines, your upper body needs to be higher than your waist. So it is best to lie on your back with your head propped up on a few pillows. If this is uncomfortable, you may lie on your right side with your knees pulled toward your chest. You may place a castor pack and heating pad over the liver at this time. Lie still for 30 minutes, and remain in bed for at least an hour. Although painless, the liver will be going through a major “procedure,” so you want as little movement as possible. It is preferred that you go to sleep at this time.
You may be experiencing a variety of sensations as the stones are released from the bile ducts. You won’t be experiencing any pain though, because the Epsom salts have dilated the bile ducts and the stones will move effortlessly. If you feel the urge to have a bowel movement, and ½ an hour has passed, go ahead. If at any time during the night you feel nauseated, do not be alarmed. Some individuals will have an influx of toxic bile released from the gallbladder which forces the oil back into the stomach. This should not be too severe if you have followed the protocol precisely. The coffee enemas remove a great portion of stagnant bile beforehand so this exact thing does not occur. If you do experience nausea any time throughout the night, take 2 capsules of Betaine HCL to relieve nausea.
VIII. Instructions for Day 7
Additional items you’ll need for today:
- Coffee Enema kit
- Castor Oil Kit (for kidneys)
- Heating Pad for the castor pack
6:00 – 7:00 a.m. In between 6:00 and 7:00 a.m. take your third Epsom salts drink. Wait at least 20 minutes before drinking water. Do not eat anything at this time. If you are not feeling well, although unlikely, be sure to rest or go back to bed if you like. Most people feel well enough to get on with their day. If you are feeling up to it, take a stroll or do some light exercises.
8:00 – 9:00 a.m. Take your last Epsom salts drink by 9:00 a.m. Take a large glass of water 20 minutes after the Epsom salts. Make sure to continue drinking plenty of water today!!
The Results of the Liver Flush
Shortly after arising you will begin having a series of loose bowel movements, and you may have already noticed gallstones floating in the toilet. Usually, by late morning most of the food should be out of your system and your bowels will expel mainly water and gallstones. This could continue up until the afternoon. We suggest using a colander or strainer to catch the gallstones as they are expelled. It is important for you to keep track and examine the types of stones released.
You will see stones of various sizes, shapes and colors. Typically, most of the stones will be different shades of green and float in the toilet. These are made up primarily of bile and cholesterol. Light-colored stones are the most recent, and the dark-green stones are the oldest. Each flush will vary in the size, color and amount of stones expelled. Generally, stones are the size of a pea but can get as large as 1-2 inches in diameter. You typically see these larger stones after 2-3 Flushes. Keep an eye out for tan-colored, black, or white stones. These are calcified stones from the gallbladder and usually sink to the bottom (a strainer will catch them.) Taking them to a lab for analysis is always a good idea. This will give you an idea of how much and what type of toxic accumulation is congesting the gallbladder and biliary ducts- especially if you have a large amount of calcified stones. You may also notice small tan crystals, husk like particles, and foam floating around. These consist of tiny cholesterol crystals that are equally as important to cleanse from the liver.
10:00 a.m. You may start eating at this time. A few pieces of fruit would be most desirable. Ideally, you want to continue eating light on this day with minimal fat and protein.
3:00 – 4:00 p.m. – Coffee Enema. A coffee enema is very important to do today. The coffee will stimulate the bile ducts in the liver, helping to release any toxic bile or gallstones that are lingering behind. The enema will also help to release any stones left in the lower bowels. This is not a replacement though, for the colon cleanse required after the Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush. (You may repeat a coffee enema later in the evening if you choose.)
High Enema – Taking a “High Enema” today is a very good option. In fact, if you are unable to do a colonic this is the next best choice. (This should be taken after your coffee enema.) This is very effective in cleansing the entire colon. Since your bowels are empty, thanks to the Epsom salts, it will be much easier to take the high enema without having to clear the lower bowels first (you will be able to skip the preliminary enemas and take in the full 3 to 3 ½ quarts of water at one time.) For detailed instructions on how to do a high enema, visit: The In-Home High Enema. Important Note: If you choose to follow the instructions at this site, make sure you use only warm, purified water.
5:00 – 6:00 p.m. – Castor Pack. At this time, you will need to castor pack your kidneys for one hour. Since the Flush will release a large amount of toxicity from the liver, the kidneys will be the first to take on this toxic load. Placing a castor pack over the kidneys will induce circulation allowing the castor oil to penetrate the cells and trigger a purging of newly accumulated toxins. This is a step that should not be skipped! Unknowingly, many people who Liver Flush do not understand the delicacy of the kidneys. Failure to adequately detoxify them after a Liver Flush may cause further congestion and create unnecessary complications. Our rule is to always cleanse/detox the kidneys after a Liver Flush. If you have had kidney stones in the past, or feel substantial weakness days after the flush, it may be beneficial for you to start the Kidney Cleanse again, or at least drink the Kidney tea for a week or more. It is recommended to do a Kidney Cleanse every few months in between the Liver/Gallbladder Flushes.
IX. Cleansing the Colon a Few Days after the Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush
Cleansing the colon after the Essential Liver/Gallbladder Flush is absolutely necessary. As mentioned previously, gallstones may release from the liver a day or two after the Flush, and if they lodge in the colon and remain there for too long they will become a source of irritation. A colonic within 3 days of the Flush is our number one recommendation. If a colonic is not possible and you have had success with the Salt Flush, this would be the next ideal choice. Coffee enemas, warm water enemas, or another High Enema will work effectively also.