Instant Whole Groat Oatmeal
Start Out Your Day With Real Oatmeal!
This is one of our favorite, easy-to-make recipes. No more cooking oatmeal for 45 minutes. This recipes cooks in about 10minutes, and you still get to eat the whole oat!! This is the true definition of eating WHOLE FOODS!!!
Why Whole Oat Groats?
Once the oat kernel (called an oat groat) is smashed, the natural oils contained in the groat immediately begin to oxidize, turning these oils rancid. Examples of these pre-smashed oat groats are rolled oats, stone-ground oats and steal-cut oats. Therefore, regardless of the method used to make oatmeal, by the time you buy it, it is an inferior product because of the oxidation process (oxidation causes free radicals!!). Avoid consuming these rancid oils and refrain from buying pre-smashed oats or other grains.
HBH Instant Oatmeal:
- 1/3 cup organic whole oat groats (Arrowhead Mills is a good brand)
- purified water
- Grind the 1/3 cup of oat groats in a TurboBlender, high-speed blender, Ultimate Chopper, or coffee grinder for about 40 seconds or until the oat groats become flour. Soak oat flour overnight in purified water. Make sure soak water is at least 1 inch above the ground oat flour.
- In the morning, add the oats and their soak water to a pot and add 1 cup more of purified water. Turn on medium heat and let simmer for approximately 10 minutes, or until the oats thicken. Stir frequently. If you prefer a thinner consistency for your oatmeal, add more water. You may have to play around with the amount of water until you achieve the desired consistency. Take off heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add a good quality fat such as ghee, coconut oil, coconut butter or olive oil to your oatmeal. To ensure digestibility, we always recommend eating your grains with fat. Otherwise, the grains will move through the small intestine too quickly and ferment in the large intestine.
Here are our favorite versions:
- For a savory, hearty flavor add 3 capsules Turmeric, 1 tbsp. Nutritional Flakes, 1-2 tsp. of Oil: Olive Oil, EFA Oil Blend, Flax Oil and Pink Salt to taste. (The nutritional flakes and the turmeric give the oatmeal a zesty, cheesy flavor.
- For a sweet version add 1-2 tsp. Vanilla Agave Nectar, or Organic Grade B Maple Syrup with a few dashes of cinnamon.
- For a creamier oatmeal, cook with less water until the oatmeal is sticky when you take it offf the heat. Then add a little Hemp Milk, Almond Milk, or coconut milk until thick and creamy.
Important Note: Never add fruit to your oatmeal, or to any other grain for that matter. Eating fruit with grains causes fermentation and decreases digestibility.